Entrance requirement and application
The admission requirement for the M. Sc. Geosciences program is a qualified university degree in a course of study in geosciences with study achievements amounting to at least 180 credit points (LP) with the degree Bachelor of Science or an equivalent university degree in a subject-related course of study that was evaluated with the overall grade "good" or better.
Graduates of related courses of study (in particular physics, chemistry, materials science, other geosciences or environmental studies) are generally admitted if their degree is equivalent. Equivalency is generally given if courses with a total of 60 LP (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System, ECTS) have been successfully completed in the subjects of mathematics, physics, chemistry and earth sciences in the previous study program. At least 12 LP should come from the field of geosciences.
Applicants who do not meet this admission requirement may be admitted if their application documents show a special professional qualification for the Master's program in Geosciences and thus an equivalence. Equivalence is determined by means of a case-by-case examination, in which relevant professional experience is also taken into account. The decision on this is made by the examination board. In cases of doubt, a selection interview may be held. Admission with conditions is possible.
The Master's program in Geosciences requires advanced knowledge of the English language in order to be able to understand lectures in English well and to be able to independently prepare texts on specialized topics in English.
The existence of sufficient language skills is determined by the Admissions Committee. Proof can be provided in the following ways:
- by language certificates above level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference,
- an admission interview conducted in English, or
- by school reports which prove at least four years of instruction in English up to the degree entitling the holder to admission to higher education.
- International applicants must provide evidence of German language skills at the level of DSH 2 or TestDaF 4x4.
The application is possible via the online application portalExternal link of the Friedrich Schiller University.
If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact the study advisors.
Documents required to complete the online application
The following documents are necessary:
- Letter of motivation
- Certificate of the first professionally qualifying university degree with study achievements of at least 180 LP (if already available at the time of application).
- If the professionally qualifying degree is not yet available at the time of application, the given level of achievement (with at least 140 LP relevant for the Master's program) must be submitted
- detailed grade overview of the first professionally qualifying university degree with indication of an average grade
- certificate of the university entrance qualification
- proof of English language skills (level B2 according to the European Framework of Reference)*.
- foreign applicants must submit proof of German language skills based on DSH-2, TestDaF 4x4 or an equivalent
- Applicants with a first professional university degree from the People's Republic of China, Mongolia or Vietnam must additionally submit proof of the certificate of the Academic Evaluation Service on the successful verification of the academic performance (APS certificate in original)
- proof of relevant practical experience, if applicable
* Note on "proof of English language skills": Formally, proof of English proficiency at level B2 is required, however, the selection committee will decide whether your English proficiency is sufficient for the Master's program. For applicants with a German Abitur, proof of the Abitur certificate is sufficient.
Please note that all transcripts and certificates must be translated into German or English and additionally attached. The translations must be done by a sworn translator.
When you are approved...
As soon as you have been admitted to the master's program, you must submit all relevant certificates in the original or as certified copies for enrollment within a certain time limit at FSU. This deadline can be found in the admission letter that will be sent to you.
Please note that the semester fee de must be paid in the course of enrollment.
Contact persons and questions
Further information can be found via the Master Service CenterExternal link.
If you have any questions regarding application and enrollment, please contact the Student Advisory Service or the FSU Student Service Center de.